Basic Dog Grooming And Care

 Here is my article on Basic Dog Grooming and Care.

*The undercoat brushing method is specifically for Australian Cattle Dogs which have double coats, but the majority of the products can be used successfully with all breeds.
I’m not a professional groomer, nor have been paid to promote any of these products. The below listed tools, products, and methods are ones I’ve found to be safe, effective, and are reasonably priced.

TEETH CLEANING:   Regular teeth cleaning is one of the most important things you can do for the overall health of the dog. It’s estimated that most dogs HAVE a form of periodontal disease by the time they they are three years old!  When the dog’s mouth gets an infection it can transfer to their kidneys, liver, and heart. 
I prefer using the finger toothbrushes for dogs, as they are soft, durable, and well tolerated by most dogs. Using a small ball of paste for each side I brush back and forth, paying special attention to the dogs back molars. Even if you cannot get all around every tooth, brushing the best you can will still help.  I use Virbac Enzymatic Toothpaste, beef flavor. Daily teeth brushing, and a yearly dental checkup by your Veterinarian is the gold standard for keeping your dogs teeth healthy.

NAIL TRIMMING - I use an Avid Power brand of rotary tool,the cordless rechargeable version is preferred. I like the 60 grit Dremel sanding bands. Dremel is a common name brand of rotary tools, though I’ve found the other rotary tool brands are as good or better.
At least 8 volt models are best for medium to large breed dog nail trimming.  
Start by desensitizing the dog to the tool by just touching the nail, reward the dog with a piece of its daily meal after doing so.  Once the dog gets used to the process I just reward once I’ve finished all the nails. Round the nail fully, removing any sharp edges. Be careful not to hit the “quick” of the nail inside, as this will cause the dog pain, and possibly will cause the nail to bleed as well. 
The dogs nails will heat up if the sanding belt is left on it for longer than a few seconds, so just do a little at a time, then go on to the next nail and come back to it if needed. I do a very light nail trimming on a daily basis with Kenji, so it becomes habit, and just part of his normal daily routine. He accepts this much better than a once a week/month trimming.
I have a very detailed article specifically on dog Nail Trimming at my site.

EAR CLEANING:  Vet’s Best Ear Relief Wash with chamomile and yucca is effective and gentle enough to use often. I clean Kenji’s ears about every other day as they tend to get dirty, some dogs once a week, or even once a month will be enough. If the cotton balls come out clean I would extend the length of time between cleanings.
Wet two jumbo cotton balls thoroughly but NOT dripping, and clean down inside both ears, wipe the entire inside flap of the ears on the way out.
For the occasion ear infection I prefer Zymox Plus Otic Enzymatic Solution. The product states NOT to clean the dogs ears just before or during its use, and if condition persists or worsens consult your Veterinarian.

SHAMPOO:  I use Furminator  brand shampoo, Itch Relief version.  It lathers well and rinses out easily.  It leaves the coat soft, healthy looking, and has a very mild scent. Be sure to keep all shampoos away from the dogs eyes when bathing.

BRUSHES First I use a slicker style brush that specifically has the tiny coated tips at the ends of the pins, as they scratch the skin less and are better tolerated by the dog.   The brand I prefer is Glendan, large version pet brush.  I use this brush on the neck,back,sides,and hindquarters of the dog. The key is to first use the slicker AGAINST the direction of the hair to get the dead undercoat out. Then go back over the coat in the direction of the hair. I brush lightly, as even the best slicker brushes can be hard on sensitive skinned dogs. 
After  the slicker I use a soft Boar’s Hair brush for the dog’s legs,face,and belly to remove any stray hair and dander.  The brand I prefer are Arabella Boar’s Hair Brushes.        

I use MUSHERS SECRET paw and hoof wax year round on the dogs pads and toes. Used in the Winter to protect against salt and snowballing between toes, and Summer to protect against hot asphalt and sand. Use daily until the pads are soft and pliable, then on a regular basis.  Work the product well into the area between the pad and toes. The product contains non-toxic natural waxes, which is very important to me as the dogs often lick their paws after application. It may be slippery for the dog on tile or linoleum floors at first. 
I will have a special chew toy or interactive food toy available to immediately give the dog which keeps them occupied for a while, and usually the dog forgets about the paw wax.

THERMOMETER:  It’s a good idea to train your dog to accept a rectal thermometer, as having a irregular body temperature is a very good indication of illness.  A dogs normal body temperature is generally between 101 to 103. Some individuals will run slightly lower.  If the dog has a temperature of 104 or above, call your Veterinarian immediately. 
 I use a plastic digital rectal pet thermometer with disposable probe covers. Be sure to lubricate the end well with Vaseline first.

MUZZLE:  Many dogs aren’t fond of grooming, especially nail trimming. Having the dog properly muzzle conditioned so they are comfortable wearing one will keep everyone safer. I prefer the Baskerville brand, as they are soft rubbery material which allow the dog to pant  and take treats through.  I have a very detailed article on how to easily muzzle condition a dog on my site.

For dogs who don’t like being handled I will use part of their daily meals, hand fed a piece at a time, as rewards for good behavior while being groomed.  
Solid basic obedience goes a long way towards having a dog who is overall easier to handle as well.

Dog training articles on Crate Training,Potty Training, The OUT command, Basic Pup Manners, Training Collars, and more are available at my site below- which is open to the public and free of charge. ❤️🐺❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction to All Basics-Dog Training

Introduction to All Basics-Dog Training

⚜️⚜️⚜️🐺⚜️⚜️⚜️ Need help training your puppy? Need help with your reactive dog? Here’s what people are saying about All Basics- Dog Training...

Introduction to All Basics-Dog Training